Smartphones, some unlikely companions for children's sleep
From the first hour of the morning the new technologies are present in our day to day. Who has not sat down at breakfast to watch the news? Or to look for information about an academic work? However, there are certain contexts where it is advisable to keep them away from us.
For example, when going to sleep it is recommended that smartphones stay out of the room. Not only because their presence can make us fall into temptation and make us use them, preventing us from falling asleep. From the study published Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences indicate several points why it is recommended that these devices are not present while the youngest of the house sleep.
Light and melatonin
After analyzing 1,058 cases where the quality of sleep was crossed and the use of smartphones of those people it was possible to verify that the use of screens before sleeping feared a direct effect on the quality of the rest. The light released by devices such as smartphones or tablets altered the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for regulating sleep.
In addition, the use of these devices activate the brain, which translates into a greater difficulty in being able to sleep because it is more difficult to enter a state of relaxation. What eventually produces that the person is in a state of almost constant alertness. Finally, the poor quality of sleep also stands out as long as the smartphone can sound at night.
Many are the notifications that can arrive throughout the night, producing sound that alters the person who is sleeping. Finally, as was said at the beginning, a smartphone nearby causes the child to make constant inquiries that lead him to alter his own rhythm of rest.
Tips for good use
Teaching the little ones to make good use of new technologies is very important. These are some tips to get this finish:
1. Technological devices must be appropriate to the child's level of development and their learning needs.
2. The possible risks and rules of use will be discussed and negotiated with them.
3. The technologies will be placed in common spaces and when they are small it is recommended that their use be shared with adults.
4. The connection time (there is no recipe), will be shared with the NO connection.
5. You have to teach them to interact with other people in social networks as they would like them to treat them.
6. Not all the information on the Internet is reliable. You have to teach them to be critical.
7. Try to keep abreast of technological developments, to facilitate learning for our children.
8. Be an example of responsible use of the internet.
9. Be alert for any symptoms of possible addiction.
10. Be consistent with the reasonable use of what we do of technology and with the behaviors that we demand of our children.