Obesity increases the risk of hip problems
The childhood obesity It has become one of the great problems of today. The sedentary life and the increase of the foods with high levels of fat explain the high rates of overweight in the new generations. A context that gives rise to numerous problems such as diabetes and, in the long run, heart disease among others.
An example is the increase in long-term problems because of the obesity. One more reason for parents to take into account what they put on the table and ensure the good nutrition of their children. We must never forget that what is done today will have effects tomorrow, both for good and for bad.
How does obesity affect the long term? The study 'Childhood obesity and the sliding of the epiphysis of the femoral head' analyzed the cases of 597.07 children from five to 6 years and from another 39,468 from 11 to twelve years. The goal was to analyze their Body Mass Index at those ages and see how many possibilities there were to change their weight problems over the years.
75% of children between 5 and 6 years old did not present changes in their Body Mass Index when they met the 12 years. A situation that leads to problems, as in this case a slippage of the epiphysis of the femoral head. Specifically, children with obesity were 20 times more likely to end up suffering from a problem in their hips in the long run.
This is because the bone structure of the smallest, still Developing, hold a weight for which you are not prepared. Something that ends up leading to these problems in the hips by the premature wear of them. The authors of the study point out that although most of these alterations can be solved with minor surgery, the importance of any surgical intervention must be taken into account.
Prevention of obesity
The prevention of obesity is possible by following routines like the following:
- Variety feeding. Eating everything and in a balanced way is always better than eliminating a food group or focusing a diet on a single product.
- Never skip breakfast and make this the most important meal of the day, so you will avoid chopping between hours during the day.
- In the diet should never be missing pasta, bread or rice, as well as legumes.
- Moderate the consumption of fats, monitor the amount of fried foods that are included in the menu of the little ones.
- Monitor the amount of added sugar that children eat and avoid practices such as adding this ingredient to products that already have it, such as yogurt.
- Get involved fully, do not make these points an exclusive mission of children. Fathers and mothers must also accept these norms and lead by example.