Four tips with which to improve the dental health of your children
There are many cares that a person must face in order to achieve maximum well-being. Of course, all these attentions must be greater in the smallest of the house to assure them a correct development. A good example is the considerations that should be taken with the teeth. An important task that they remember from the Spanish Society of Pediatric Dentistry (SEOP).
To achieve this goal, dental health care, SEOP has launched a campaign whose main measure is the release of the "Open mouth" Manual. A few pages where this organization offers four simple recommendations to follow that professionals offer to parents to share with their children.
As has been said, the purpose of this manual is to offer parents simple tips to ensure the dental health of their children. Four steps with which to achieve this goal and ensure the care of the denture:
Visit the pediatric dentist before the first birthday:
- The pediatric dentist is the professional who can offer the best advice for taking care of the smallest teeth. It is recommended to visit this expert to perform a first dental check-up before the child's first birthday.
- From the first birthday it is important to follow the condition of the mouth by means of minimum revisions once a year or more frequent depending on the risk of decay.
Brush teeth with fluoride toothpaste:
- From the birth of the first tooth you have to clean the teeth at least twice a day, in the morning and before putting the child to bed.
- Use a brush with soft bristles to care for the enamel.
- Since the first tooth comes out use a paste with a concentration of 1000 parts per million (ppm) of fluoride ion, since only from 1000 ppm fluorine is effective to protect the tooth against the creation of caries.
- After 3 years this amount can be increased up to 1450 ppm of fluorine, being able to use toothpaste for "adults".
- Treat the toothpaste as if it were a medicine. This item should be stored out of reach of the child and administered as follows: the size of a rice granite from the eruption of the first tooth and the size of a pea from 3 years of age.
- Do not wet the brush with water before brushing the teeth, or rinse the mouth with water afterwards. You have to spit the excess paste so that the fluorine remineralizes the teeth correctly.
- You have to clean the brush after home use and change it every 3 months.
- Complement brushing with a daily fluoride mouthwash will help create a good routine, always following the recommendations of the pediatric dentist.
- The oral health of children is the responsibility of the parents, who have to brush their teeth with the children and do a constant review until they are 7-8 years old. This will make tooth brushing an essential daily action.
- Make brushing teeth a fun activity for the child. To do this, activities ranging from choosing the brush (the right size for the child's age) or the paste that you like are recommended.
- We must be careful with the transmission of bacteria between parents and children. Do not clean the pacifier with your mouth, do not blow food to cool it and never exchange toothbrushes.
- Control the number of daily intakes and the time between them. When not enough time is left between intake and intake, saliva can not neutralize the acids in the plaque and the teeth are at risk of losing important minerals, which is what can lead to the creation of caries.
- Milk teeth exit order
- Blows on children's teeth
- How to care for the first milk teeth
- The dangers of sweets and sweets in children