6 new communication channels between schools and families
After the summer holidays, it is time to return to school, and the schools resume communication with the parents of their students. Nowadays, with the new technologies, there are numerous ways to connect parents, teachers and students, but it is necessary to take advantage of each of them to the maximum so as not to generate disruptive elements.
The communication between parents, students and school is a fundamental axis of any great school. But this can be a challenge because the educational institution must combine the tools, training, time, staffing and technical support. Therefore, it is necessary to know the usefulness of each technological tool to know how to make better use of it.
The planning of communications between parents and school It is key to avoid conflicts and misinformation. In order to use all the channels and technology available in this return to school, we explain six key areas in which an educational center should focus to improve the participation of students and parents.
6 communication channels between schools, parents and students
1. Website. The function of a website is to gather all the general information related to the school. As more and more users browse the web through mobile phones, it is important that the website is compatible with mobile devices. In addition, it should be the reference point for social networks and other channels such as videos or blogs. Some of the keys that should be present in this communication channel are the characteristics of the center, its board of directors and access or activities.
2. Social networks. These have become the showcase, the public image of the center. They are a means to teach and connect. However, it is a sensitive medium, so it is necessary to choose carefully what social networks are going to be used, what is the appropriate time to use them, and, above all, to protect the private information of our users and students.
3. Instant messaging This medium should be used for news and alerts that require immediacy, such as closures, time changes, and reminders. This constitutes a direct form of communication and, in order to ensure its effectiveness, it is necessary to avoid transmitting through it little relevant information or false messages.
4. App. The applications are becoming a very popular method, because it facilitates day-to-day tasks such as accessing the calendar, the schedule or the menu of educational institutions. In addition, it is a tool that can integrate the functions of telephone, email and instant messaging.
5. Emails. It is not a novel tool, but it is still key for schools. Most parents have email accounts and prefer to receive information through this medium, as it is a form of personal communication and may contain extensive messages if necessary. However, you may have problems such as not having the certainty that the emails have been received or that they reach the spam folder.
6. Blog. A blog as a blog can be one of the best ways to involve parents in school. The school can use them to articulate, support and clarify information, as well as to tell stories. It is a way to generate a dialogue and its content does not have to be always serious, since you can share ideas, photographs and anecdotes.
Isabel López Vásquez