Educate without screaming: if you scream, they scream
Has your house become crazy? Are your children always screaming? What has happened, how could we have arrived at this situation? If you want to stop screaming at home, try to educate without screaming To your childs. Remember, if you scream, they scream and the reason is that young children act by imitation.
The habit in the emission of the child's voice is marked in its first years of life by different causes: the phonation used by the people with whom he lives at home, in school, and above all, by the mother. The imitation that the child makes of the closest people is decisive for the future of a phonatory habit. Therefore, if your children are surrounded by screaming adults, they may end up screaming as well.
The voice of the mother
There are "models" of relationship and coexistence that can be positive for some members of the family and not so successful for others. Generally, shouting at children is never the solution. The child is immersed in this context, which in turn is offering "models" of voice: the voice of the mother, of the father, of the brothers ... Many times we say "this child speaks like his father" because he talks very loud or screaming ...
Also, in the family there are other stimuli such as television, the computer, which can be accompanied by violence, noise and verbal models, which carry certain values, although we know that these stimuli are not negative (everything depends on the use and abuse that is make them).
Another aspect that influences the child's own dynamics is school, including kindergarten (from 0 to 3 years). This school environment offers very varied models or verbal references when interacting: respecting or not speaking turns, speaking at an appropriate intensity or abusing it, speaking in silent environments without background noise, or doing so in a highly noisy environment like at the time of the patio, dining room, sports time, etc.
At home, what can we do to educate without screaming?
Educate with the example
- Avoid situations in which the child has to force the voice.
- Do not talk to the child out loud. It is convenient to speak in a medium tone without raising or lowering the voice exaggeratedly so that the act of shouting is strange or something unusual.
- Do not talk heatedly nor precipitate in front of the child. That is an inappropriate and harmful model for your voice.
- When directing the child to do it at a prudently short distance. Do not talk to you from afar; The child is being forced to answer by forcing the voice to be heard.
- Ensure that the child does not talk too much when you check that you have the voice "taken" or hoarse.
- Avoid high-action games. It is convenient that the child spends more time in situations of relaxation and tranquility than in situations that cause their agitation, which would cause inappropriate use of the voice.
Take care of the environment
- Prevents the child from being in excessively charged environments and closed or in which there is a lot of noise (fumes, loud music, etc.).
- Do not drink very cold or very hot drinks. Also avoid spicy seasonings at meals; avoids irritation in the vocal cords
- Increase humidity in the family environment to avoid the dry and warmed media originated in winter by the heaters and in summer, by the air conditioning. Prevent sudden changes in temperature.
- Provide the child with a regular sleep and stable.
- Supervise oral hygiene visiting the dentist regularly, habitating the child to brush their teeth after meals with fluoride toothpaste and control the consumption of sugar within the margins of a balanced diet.
- Do without carpets (whether synthetic or not) in the rooms; they retain a large number of allergens.
Marisol Nuevo Espín