The reasons for visiting the pediatrician before delivery
Within the pediatrician is the specialist who is dedicated to assist the youngest of the house, diagnose them and propose a treatment. It is normal for children to begin their visits to these professionals once they have been born and present a problem or an appointment is made in order to closely monitor their development. However, from the American Association of Pediatrics Parents are advised to go to these centers even before delivery.
The recommendation is that all prospective parents make an appointment with the pediatrician during the tercer trimester of pregnancy. An action that will serve as a first step to get a relationship of trust with this specialist and to have the support of the medical home for your child.
From the American Association of Pediatrics it is explained that we should not think about visiting this specialist as a date in which a diagnosis is going to be diagnosed. health problem. This activity can be used to talk about the expectations of bringing a baby to your home and to anticipate unforeseen challenges, such as postpartum depression or other issues arising from conception.
In this visit to the pediatrician can be positive strategies for the upbringing that can help to counteract the consequences for the health of the stress in the child's life. "It's an opportunity to talk about how to keep the baby safe and in good physical health, as well as to build strong bonds with parents to promote resilience and help the child maintain good emotional health," explains Michael Yogman, chairman of the committee. the American Pediatric Association.
Also during these visits you can cover issues, such as car safety seats, what kind of bedding you need for the crib or bassinet, and what vaccines you need to protect the baby. These appointments can also be an opportunity to talk about breastfeeding.
Other topics to talk about in these visits to the pediatrician are the normal feelings that cause stress when a baby cries and other things to expect when caring for a baby, as well as clear strategies to cope with stress before feel stressed.
This organism indicates that the prenatal visit with the pediatrician is of particular importance for first-time parents and for those who face a high-risk pregnancy, suffer from complications, wait for more than one baby or are in the process of adoption.
The first visits to the pediatrician
Visits to the pediatrician should also be maintained after delivery. The first medical exam of the baby is performed immediately after birth, this appointment will be followed by a series of visits to the specialist that will be very common during the first year of life of the child.
As indicated by the San Joan de Déu Hospital, it is highly recommended that both parents attend these reviews. Have the support of another adult allows the father or mother to concentrate on the explanations of the pediatrician. The objective of these first medical examinations is to ensure that the child is developing and growing properly and that there is no disorder or health problem. For this the pediatrician will observe and evaluate different areas:
- Increase. At each visit, the pediatrician will weigh the baby and measure his height and head size. This will allow you to determine the growth curve at each visit and, in this way, you will know if the baby is growing properly
- Head. The pediatrician will observe if the soft spots of the head or fontanels are closed when they should and, consequently, if the formation of the bones of the head develops correctly; the point of the back should be closed after two or three months of life, and that of the front approximately at 18 months.
- Ears. Auditory tests are done to determine how the baby's ears respond to sounds and if there is an abnormality. Also, the pediatrician will examine if there is fluid or an infection in the ear.
- Eyes. The doctor will monitor the movements of each baby's eye, using a bright object or a flashlight to get their attention. He will also perform an internal examination of the eye, very useful to detect cataracts.
- Mouth. The revision of the mouth is necessary to detect infections and observe the evolution of the dentition.
- Heart and lungs. In these first visits, the pediatrician will also listen to the baby's heart and lungs through a stethoscope, to ensure that the rhythm and sound are normal and that there is no unusual breathing difficulty.
- Abdomen. Pressing gently on the child's abdomen, the doctor will make sure that no organ is dilated or there are abnormal masses.
- Genitals The genitals are examined at each visit to detect any bumps, softness or unusual signs of infection.If the baby has been circumcised, during the first medical examinations, special attention is paid to the penis, to ensure that it is cured correctly.
- Hips and legs. The pediatrician will check if there is any abnormality in the joints of the hip and if there is dislocation or dysplasia. This is decisive for an adequate correction of the problem as soon as possible. When the child starts walking, the doctor will determine if the legs and feet line up and move correctly.