Summer reading programs, how to make children fall in love with books
Summer is already here and with it the long-awaited vacations that seemed distant during the course. A time in which to rest but that can also be invested in developing different skills, a job in which fun also fits. There are not a few activities that can enhance a skill and that will also make children spend great moments.
An example is the reading, an activity that proposes great moments of fun while developing skills such as imagination, attention and serving in the student's day to day. Summer is a perfect opportunity to make children fall in love with books and present these practices as an alternative, or more fun, than the others.
How to organize a reading program
How to make children know books? Reading programs can be very useful for this purpose. These activities consist of something as simple as making these paper friends get to the day to day of the little ones and start to be attractive, or make those who already read regularly do not lose this habit on vacation.
There are many ways to get children integrated into a reading program. The first method is for the little ones to be integrated into the activities to organize entities such as summer schools, libraries or even camps. Another option is to organize these activities at home and make books become a common element in the children's summer.
These are some tips to organize a summer reading program:
- Attend reading lists. There are few reading recommendations that are offered in the summer. Review them and attend to those for the children's age at home will be a first step to organize a list of books to start organizing this program.
- Theme. Once the reading offer is known, you can choose a theme for the program. From space adventures to medieval knights, bet on one in particular and provide children from stories to small novels.
- Do not stay in reading. Following the example of the medieval knights, you can take advantage of the reading program to go to a history museum and learn more about this subject. In this way, children will also be motivated to continue learning about this issue through books.
- If possible, organize the reading program with other parents. Creating a group with several children will also help the children to share their experience with reading the book they are doing and at the same time, social skills will be enhanced in the youngest children.
What should not be done
While the reading program is a good idea both to offer an activity to the little ones in summer and to make them become fond of books, you should not impose these practices. These are some ideas to avoid while the presence of reading on vacation is encouraged:
- Recommend, do not impose. Allowing the child to choose what he wants to read is recommended. Parents can advise but never force their children.
- Do not impose rhythms. Each child reads at their own pace and trying to impose a rhythm to meet deadlines will only overwhelm the child. Children should be allowed to relax and have fun on these pages.
- Never compare. Especially, if you have chosen a reading program with other parents, parents should not compare the little ones with their friends. You have to encourage fun and not give the image of being in a competition where you win the fastest or who reads more concepts.