Multiple intelligences, a new way of educating
Who has not heard the phrase or tagline of ... "children of today"? It is very common to hear it in colloquial conversations mainly linked to the formation of the youngest ones, since it can be seen at a glance that the way of educating is changing. This does not mean that it is neither better nor worse, it is different, since the means, the society have also changed ... we live in a constant evolution.
How has childhood education evolved in recent years? If we go back to the General Law of Education of 1970, at the moment in which create the kindergarten for children from two to three years old, there is a deficiency that exists for children under two years old within the education system, so that at that moment private centers, called day care centers, are created. And as the word itself indicates, in the nursery they looked after the children, but at first no educational approach was contemplated.
This is how Early Childhood Education was born
This concept has evolved over time. At present, the Organic Law 2/2006 of May 3, is presented as the first law in the education system that indicates the period of the children's education from the birth of the child to six years of age.
On this occasion, and in the stage in which we are focusing, the first educational cycle is known as Children's school, that covers from the birth of the child to 3 years. At present, families that take their children to a nursery school do so because they understand that it has an educational and voluntary nature, and its ultimate purpose will be the correct physical, emotional, social and intellectual development of children.
Thus, the nursery school will progressively attend to the affective development, to the movement and habits of body control, to the manifestations of communication and language, to the elementary rules of coexistence and social relationship, as well as to the discovery of the physical and social characteristics of the child. medium in which children live. It will also facilitate that children develop a positive and balanced image of themselves and acquire personal autonomy.
Multiple intelligences in nursery school
Each nursery school also uses a different educational project, adapted to the needs of the youngest children. It begins to work from an innovative methodology, typical of nursery schools Nemomarlin, based on the theory of 'Multiple intelligences'by Howard Gardner.
Although these eight multiple intelligences are present in each person, not all of them develop in the same way. As always, every child is a world and has a personalized development.
1. Linguistic-verbal intelligence: the ability to use words and language to express thoughts.
2. Logical-mathematical intelligence: ability to use logical reasoning, numbers and handle mathematical and arithmetic laws, as well as ease of problem solving.
3. Naturalist intelligence: ability to understand the relationships between animals and plants with their environment and people.
4. Visual-spatial intelligence: the ability to be able to process information in three dimensions, that is, to relate images, colors, spaces and figures.
5. Musical intelligence: be able to perceive the different musical forms and
express yourself through them ..
6. Kinesthetic-corporal intelligence: It is described as the ability of the body and mind to work together to express ideas, communicate thoughts and generate activities.
7. Intrapersonal intelligence: those able to know themselves, identify and express emotions and feelings and regulate their behavior
8. Interpersonal intelligence: the ability to understand others know how to relate to others and be able to adapt in different social groups.
We can not forget about the child's motor development, which is decisive for its general evolution. We will always keep in mind the importance of the family-school bond, since the family is the first agent of socialization of the child, so we will always have to go hand in hand. Each child in your world and therefore each child will take a different development to which we will adapt from minute one.
Mónica Rodríguez Hernando. Director of the Nemomarlin Butarque children's school, Madrid.