Second year of the child's life, the most surprising changes
The first years of life in the child is a continuous change. Every day there is a variation that was not present before. Knowing how to recognize what is common to each age of the youngest, will allow parents to ensure the best for their children and know how to recognize possible problems in their children.
To guide parents in the journey that paternity involves, from the Spanish Association of Pediatrics, AEPap, the changes that arrive in the second year of the child's life. An aid with which to recognize in their children these tips and act accordingly and in the best possible way.
The normal development of children of 2 years
What is normal? While each child is a world and its development has its own circumstances, there are some aspects that are considered common in their evolution:
What a 2 year old should do:
- Between 10 and 18 months children should already walk. Those who have crawled a lot or crawl to move may take longer.
- Do not worry if during the first steps, the child tiptoes them.
- The children of 1 year already make the thumb-index clamp and help to get dressed.
- From 18 to 24 months they are able to build 3 cube towers.
- Between 12 and 18 months already recognize and obey orders.
- At 14 months they learn the meaning of the word "no" and begin to use it.
- At 15 months they are able to indicate their parents what they want with the index.
- With 18 months the child is able to combine two words with meaning, scribble and run. The imitations of the elderly begin.
- At the end of the year, they triple the birth weight.
- During its second year of life the growth rate is about 0.5 to 1 cm each month.
- Children 1 year old should sleep in their room and in their crib. Surveillance systems can be placed to assess possible problems during the night.
- At this age they usually sleep about 10 hours at night and about 2 hours of nap.
- At this age, the child begins to understand the rules and his education must begin.
- At 18 months tantrums begin, the best attitude at this stage is indifference.
How parents should behave with their 2-year-old son
AEPap also points to several parents tips to apply in the development of the little ones:
- Daily hygiene at this age is very important. Children start the game and get more dirty. The use of neutral soap is recommended so as not to irritate the skin. The nails should be cut frequently and straight.
- It is not convenient to force the child to eat and respect his feeling of fullness. Avoid refined sugars and saturated fats in your menus.
- The child should not be fed with distractions such as television, songs, pacifiers, etc. It will be a distraction from which it will be difficult to detach in the future.
- The child should not be allowed to eat a la carte. Give a balanced diet and teach the child to eat everything. Do not let him eat between meals. Whenever possible, it is advisable to eat as a family.
- Sleep habits should be established such as: putting the child to bed at the same time, creating a pleasant environment at bedtime, accompanying the child with an object such as inducing sleep, not cuddle or sleep the child in arms, etc.
- Stimulating activities should be avoided before bedtime.