The Spanish population grew in the last year

Spanish demography faces a tough challenge in recent years. More births are needed that can ensure the future and avoid the problems derived from the aging of the population. In fact, in some moments, this country has registered more deaths than births, a situation that was not seen since the Civil War.

However, the arrival of foreign population in recent years has caused that in Spain the population grew during the last year. This is reflected in the Statistics of the Continuous Register as of January 1, 2018, which reflects that the demography of this country increased by 0.3% in the already closed 2017. Numbers that, as we have said, are due to the Registration of people from other countries.


126,437 other people

On January 1, 2018, the Spanish population consisted of 46,698,569 inhabitants. A figure that represents a growth of 0.3% when compared to the previous figures. Of these, almost 90% are Spanish (41,979,151). The rest of the demography, just over 10%, is made up of foreigners (4,719,418). However, in 2017 there were more enrollees belonging to the latter sector.

The foreign population made a total of 146,611 entries (increase of 3.2%) compared to 20,174 exercised by the Spanish (decrease of 0.05%). In response to this immigrant sector, there were more non-EU citizens (143.902) than those belonging to European Union states (2.709).


Of course, this Statistics of the Continuous Register reflects something obvious: Spain needs children. The majority of registrations, both of foreigners and nationals, took place in the age sector that covers from 16 to 44 years. If we look at the age group under 16 years, these inscriptions only make up 15.8% (case of Spanish) and 15.5% (case of immigrants).

Problems to have a child

Why is the decline in birth in Spain? Why do more and more couples postpone the decision to have a child or to bring a second or third child? These are some of the causes:

- Difficulty finding a first job. The exit to the working world after the training period is quite difficult for young people, without a job with which to start saving, it is very difficult to face the expenses involved in the maintenance of a child.


- Labor instability. It is as difficult to find a job as maintaining it, the fact that many companies have closed due to the effects of the crisis means that many young people do not know what their future will be and do not know how to support their children.

- Scarce conciliation policies. Once a job is achieved, the next step is to find the balance between this sphere and the care of the child. For many parents, finding the time for conciliation is very difficult, which is why commitments by companies and administrations are required to help solve this reality.

Damián Montero

Video: Study: Latino population booming in Georgia


Interesting Articles

8 natural remedies to fight the symptoms of the cold

8 natural remedies to fight the symptoms of the cold

Winter is a time of year when it is very common to get colds and flu. Although both have common symptoms, they differ in that the cold is accompanied by discharge and nasal congestion, sore throat,...

Bright students also like physical education

Bright students also like physical education

A stereotype It is an idea or perception that is repeated frequently in the minds of people and that tells them what certain aspects of life are like ... even if it is not always real. Thus, for...

The schools, reluctant to admit cases of bullying

The schools, reluctant to admit cases of bullying

The bullying It is defined as intimidation and mistreatment among schoolchildren repeatedly and maintained over time, almost always far from the eyes of adults, with the intention of humiliating and...