Abdominal pain in pregnancy, what you should know about it and how to treat it
A pregnancy It is a delicate stage that can cause a lot of discomfort in women. Vomiting, dizziness, nausea, dizziness, these are just some of the symptoms that are related to pregnancy. Also in this period other problems appear, such as the presence of abdominal pain.
An annoyance as indicated from the American Pregnancy Academy it's a normal situation in the pregnancy as normal in this process as the woman's body changes to adapt to the baby during its growth. Although many causes of abdominal pain during pregnancy should not worry, others may be more serious.
Most common causes
From the American Pregnancy Academy these causes are indicated as those common to the abdominal pain in pregnancy:
- Ligament pain. It manifests as a sharp throbbing pain when changing position, or it can also be a silent and prolonged discomfort. It appears when two ligaments that go from the uterus to the groin stretch as the uterus grows, causing discomfort. It usually manifests itself in the second trimester and is considered harmless.
- Gases and constipation. The gases during pregnancy appear because of the increase in progesterone levels. With the development of pregnancy, the gastrointestinal tract slows down, causing food to travel more slowly. It is recommended to drink plenty of water, eat fiber-rich foods, exercise and use stool softeners.
- Braxton Hicks contractions. The contractions of Braxton Hicks are defined as a hardening of the stomach muscles so that the stomach feels firm or hard. Unlike true contractions, its duration is shorter and it will be less painful. Some doctors associate them with dehydration, so drinking lots of water can help eliminate this problem.
- Other common causes. Abdominal pain may also be caused by reasons other than pregnancy: stomach viruses, kidney stones or fibroids.
Causes that should worry
At the same time, this body offers other causes that should be of concern:
- Detachment of the placenta. One of the most serious causes since the detachment of the placenta is a life-threatening problem since it involves the separation of the placenta from the uterus before the birth of the baby. You have to take into account other symptoms such as the presence of bloody fluid or premature breakage of your water.
- Urinary tract infection. Although its treatment is easy during pregnancy, if ignored, a urinary tract infection can cause complications. Abdominal pain must be accompanied by other symptoms such as a burning sensation when urinating, fever, nausea, sweating or chills.
How to proceed with abdominal pain
If abdominal pain is perceived, it is recommended to go to gynecologist and report this situation. Especially if the following symptoms are perceived: severe or persistent pain, spotting or bleeding, fever, cold, dizziness, discomfort when urinating, nausea and vomiting.