Simple tricks with which the whole family can prevent infections
An example that any home is a coexistence is found in the arrival of a disease at home. When a condition appears, all members of this nucleus are susceptible to contracting it. The closeness of a relative with health problems as a virus or a cold, increases the chances of contracting it.
A reason more than enough to prevent these health problems. Something that can be achieved with simple tricks such as those proposed by the Spanish Association of Primary Care Pediatrics, AEPap. Tips to keep these situations away from home and to maintain an optimal state of well-being in all the members that make up these family nuclei.
The importance of hygiene
We are beings in movement. Throughout the day our body goes through a multitude of situations and it is exposed to numerous elements, among which there is no lack of viruses and other possible infections that alter the good state of health of the members of a household. Therefore, when you get home the first step is hygiene, especially the hands, limb that is in contact with many elements.
From taking a borrowed pencil, until passing the hand by the railing of a staircase. All these situations cause the body to contact a fluid or a contaminated object. Therefore, AEPap recommends washing this limb with soap and water. In fact, this is the most important and effective measure to keep microbes at bay.
These are some data that demonstrate the importance of hand washing: this hygiene prevents 1 in 3 diarrheas and 1 in 5 respiratory infections, such as the cold or the flu. AEPap proposes these situations to ensure this technique:
- Before, during and after preparing food.
- Before and after eating.
- Before and after caring for someone who is sick.
- Before and after treating wounds or cuts.
- After using the bathroom.
- After changing diapers or cleaning a child who has gone to the bathroom.
- After blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing, and after cleaning the snot to a small child.
- After touching animals, their food or their droppings.
- After touching the garbage.
You also have to take care of this hygiene when a relative is sick at home, especially in situations such as:
- Conjunctivitis. Fundamental hand washing, before and after applying eye drops. Do not share toilet utensils.
- Diarrhea. Fundamental hand washing after changing diapers or washing the child. Do not share utensils, table or toilet.
- Respiratory infections (colds, flu, bronchiolitis). Hand washing after blowing or doing nasal washes, coughing in front of a handkerchief (not in the hand - read 'Rap of cough and elbow'). Surface washing, table, toys. Do not share utensils Minimize contact with other family members, especially the most vulnerable (small children, pregnant women, the elderly and the sick).
- Infections with skin lesions. Hand washing, do not rub the lesions, short and clean nails, do not share clean clothes.
- Diseases caused by parasites (worms). Wash hands after using the bathroom, short and clean nails, do not bite them. Extreme hygiene when handling food. Proper handling of pet droppings.
Nor can you ignore the role of immune system in prevention within the home. Here are some tips to strengthen this defense mechanism against infections, viruses and other conditions:
- Exercise. You have to stay in shape and ensure a good body.
- Good nutrition. We are what we eat, without a good diet we will be more likely to get diseases.
- Good rest. Ensuring that you sleep at the right times and keeping your body well rested is another effective mechanism in the prevention of diseases.