Problems making friends? Difficulties in learning may be at fault
The friends they are an important part in the development of every person. These family members with whom the last name is not shared help to promote different skills, from empathy to teamwork, as well as offering a wide range of activities with which to have fun. It is not surprising that those parents who see that their child does not have one of these circles worry about this situation.
What happens so that the child can not create his own group of friends? From the Understood Foundation an explanation to this situation is offered from the point of view of learning difficulties. A prism that makes it clear that the problem is not the personality of the smallest but these obstacles.
Impact on social relations
This organism explains that learning difficulties not only affect the school performance of the youngest children. They also make the social skills of children altered. These are some of the disorders that influence success when making friends:
- ADHD. A child with ADHD may lack self-control, be extremely active, talk a lot, talk without thinking or not pay attention to what other people are saying. Something that can cause the rejection of others
- Difficulties of executive functioning. A child with executive functioning difficulties may have problems sharing, taking turns, controlling emotions and accepting others' points of view.
- Disruption in non-verbal learning. A child with this problem may not be aware of social cues such as body language, expressions and tones of voice. They may not be able to understand humor or sarcasm and take what others say literally.
- Language Disorders. The child with language disorders may not understand the basic rules of conversation or may have difficulty finding the right words to express themselves.
- Auditory processing disorders. Because of this disorder, the child may not understand the point of what others are saying, not certain words in a conversation and, therefore, does not understand correctly what is being said or has difficulty following directions in the games.
Keys to make friends
In these circumstances the parents They should try to help their children through contact with teachers and other parents. In the first place, it is necessary to warn of the presence of these problems, so that they in turn can make it clear to other children before they can provoke a rejection of what is different from what they have known to date.
For their part, parents will have to make sure that their children go to therapies in order to solve these disorders, not only to help make friends, but to be able to stop the impact on learning. In the same way, you will also have to inculcate other basic and important notions when making friends:
- Empathy before everything. A friend is someone to understand to help in difficult times.
- Share. With friends you share, you do not have to be selfish and not allow to play with toys and vice versa.
- Accept them as they are. Maybe the friends are not an exact copy of us, but they can offer much as they are. Accepting these distinctions is an important point.
- No virtualization. Should we talk about a problem? Better in person. Must play? Better in the park or in the friend's house on rainy days, but nothing to do it through the screen of a console.