The social pressure that causes cannabis use in adolescents
The fight against the consumption of certain substances by young people has become one of the priorities of society. The first step to stop these attitudes is to understand why they occur, what leads, for example, to a minor to smoke cannabis although previously numerous prevention campaigns have warned of the dangers of it.
On this matter he has addressed the Qualitative sociological study on the consumption of alcohol and cannabis among adolescents and young people, prepared by Socidrogalcohol. A report that analyzes the reasons that push young people to start in these dangerous practices at their ages and put their development at risk.
A total of 144 young people They formed 12 discussion groups where they presented their ideas and perception about the consumption of alcohol and cannabis. These participants also had to indicate the consequences that these attitudes could have on their families. The conclusions of this study showed that the perception of the risks of these intakes was low.
While drug Like heroin, cocaine, ecstasy or speed, they were considered dangerous, in the case of cannabis it was not related to a high risk. On the other hand, alcohol was not seen as a substance capable of causing serious damage to the body. As for the type of consumption, alcoholic beverages are usually taken in larger groups, while cannabis is made in smaller groups.
What alcohol and cannabis use do share is the source of their consumption. The young people who start in both practices indicate the social pressure as the basis of this decision. The fact that everyone in the group smokes marijuana or ingests these drinks makes them want to do the same in order to fit. In the case of cannabis, the fact of feeling rebellious and breaking the norm.
Also surprising is the fact that many young people indicate that they consume alcohol or cannabis to feel "happier"and in this way avoid the reality of their day to day in which they feel more frustrated, stresses that many teenagers complain that their parents show more concern for the image that this consumption gives than the consequences for their health .
Challenges for the future
After seeing the appreciation that has the consumption of alcohol and cannabis that young people have today, from Socidrogalcohol proposes this decalogue with the most important and immediate challenges proposed to stop these practices in young people:
- Increase the age of beginning of consumption.
- Promote changes in education, work self-esteem and socialization.
- Generate and present new social and personal models that are not focused on immediacy and lack of effort.
- Increase the perception of risk on alcohol and cannabis.
- They demand action from the family, the school, the associations for leisure and awareness and awareness.
- Fight for an ideal future.
- They perceive a normalization of consumption: changing the perception of normality in society, especially in certain contexts.
- Warn about the danger of 'other drugs', in which they include tobacco, and believe that initiation drugs are alcohol and cannabis.
- Claim the role of the family and its role in the establishment of standards of conduct.
- Society and Administration, unfulfilled tasks. They ask for real education and complain about the lack of social and administrative involvement.