Achiever or perfectionist? Beware of crossing the line
It is not enough to do things, the tasks must be fulfilled in the best possible way to be successful. But in some cases, the craving for perfectionism can cause unnecessary stress in people. It is true that you have to try to be efficient in what you propose, but to pass this border in the end harming more than benefiting.
Stress, neglect of other important tasks to the focus in a single task, etc. These are some of the consequences of excessive perfectionism. A situation in which parents should not allow their children to fall, because otherwise they could see how far from achieving the desirable academic performance, their grades can suffer, as well as their social life.
The impossible point
Many times, perfectionists try to achieve an objective that is impossible to achieve. No matter how hard you work, there is nothing free of faults. In addition, in the case of students, any deadline for submission of papers and before the exam seems short because they can never meet the expectations set for them.
In addition, by not complying with the expectations created, those students will always be frustrated. People who are excess perfectionists do not see mistakes as opportunities for personal growth, and will never take advantage of these moments as a point from which to work to improve next time. They will simply be punished for this mistake and fall into a state of sadness.
At the same time, perfectionists are not very flexible in the face of changes and other work styles, so they do not unwrap good in groups. Something will weigh them down in the future work. A lack of empathy that will hinder their development within a social environment.
Deal with mistakes
Perhaps the biggest problem for perfectionists is accepting the possibility of committing a error. Parents should teach their children that failures and setbacks are part of life and that they should be assimilated as something normal:
- We all make mistakes. To live is to learn, and the greatest lessons come from mistakes. You have to dare to leave the comfort zone and know what you expect outside of it.
- There is nothing wrong in it. The errors are something normal, the human being is imperfect and therefore there will be situations that escape. In fact, it is better to know how to maneuver before a setback than to sink into it.
- Yes you can. If something does not come out the first time, you have to analyze why, not sink into a state of discouragement that prevents you from daring with new challenges.
- Dominate the feelings. Many people self-punish when they see that they have made a mistake. But do not let yourself be overwhelmed by sadness, but take all the strength at our disposal and start over.
- Always for the best. Accepting mistakes does not mean that you have to conform, every person always has to be willing to aspire to the maximum, although you should never forget that the experience is probably not perfect.