Cases of childhood obesity multiply worldwide
The world health faces the present to a battle that seems to be losing: against the obesity childish. The proliferation of sedentary lifestyle and poor diet are causing more and more children to have overweight problems, a number of cases that far from going less, increase year after year as explained in the study published in number 10 of the magazine The Lancet.
A work where attention is drawn to families around the world to start practicing a healthier lifestyle where sedentary lifestyle and exercise begins to appear on a daily basis. At the same time, it is also a reminder to take care of what is put on the table and to have much more in mind what is eaten in the day to day.
Higher increase than other years
The data show that not only have the cases of obesity children, but they have done so in a greater percentage than in previous years. In 2016, overall obesity rates had increased from less than 1% in 2015 to almost 6% in girls. For the boys, the rise was even greater since it was 8%.
"The rates of childhood and adolescent obesity have increased significantly over the last four decades in most countries of the world," he explains. James Bentham, the main author of this research, who recalls the need to bet on strategies to take care of food in order to reduce childhood obesity.
The global data is rated as worrisome by Bentham as 50 million girls and 74 million of children are now obese, which puts them at risk of serious health problems and make foresee a generation with major heart problems and other conditions related to overweight.
Prevention of obesity
As the researchers say, it is necessary to bet on techniques with which to combat overweight in these ages. Here are some suggestions so that at home, obesity can be prevented:
- Planned and balanced feeding trying to avoid the excessive amount of sandwiches, soft drinks, sweets, etc. and instead increase the supply of fruits, vegetables, dairy products, pulses and whole grain cereals.
- Practice regular physical exercise. Walking or practicing a sport with friends or family can be a good way to start.
- Respect food schedules, avoiding eating between meals high-fat foods and sugars, as this has two drawbacks: they provide many calories and few nutrients and remove the desire to eat much more nutritious food
- Remember that carbohydrates are our main source of energy.
- Fast food should be reduced to a minimum
- Eat slowly and without distractions, also taking care of the hours in front of the television.
- Eat in moderation and variety: a little of everything and not much of one.
- The whole family should participate in the practice of good eating habits. A healthy diet is healthy for all of them, whether or not they are overweight.