Severe education, uncertain academic future
Being a father is perhaps the greatest challenge that a person in life can face. A new person arrives and depends on us in many ways, and yes, you can read many books and learn the theory. But at Time of truth Nothing is as it seems and it is possible to face situations for which a priori there is no response such as for example the way of educating.
Although the truth is that we must monitor how the child is trained at home, what values are transmitted and the way in which they are made. The child's development will depend on the education he receives at home and the treatment he has on behalf of his parents. Now a study by the University of Pittsburgh has wanted to deepen in how it affects the children the severe attitudes from his parents.
It's no use hitting or screaming
This study aimed to see if in some way influenced the severe attitude of parents, shouts and physical corrections, in the future of the children. For this they analyzed during nine years a total of 1,482 students who had to answer in this work questions related to the treatment they received at home by their parents.
The researchers also verified how these students were evolving academically and their success in this center. Those children who had received a sebera education at home had dropped out of school by the time they reached high school and there were few students they reached the university.
This may be because these children have not found the addiction In the father figures, look for this affection in friendships that are never recommended. In this way, minors can fall into practices that take them away from their studies when they reach adolescent age. In addition, these young people had sexual relations at younger ages, giving rise to unwanted pregnancies that make these young people more likely not to succeed in their academic life.
Betting on dialogue
This study highlights the limited success of shouting, physical corrections and similar attitudes when it comes to educating. It is better to dialogue to make the children important people with a good future. Here are some tips to talk with children according to age:
from 6 to 12 years old:
- Make them feel important. Demonstrate that what they have to say, their ideas, are important, giving them the necessary security to express what they feel and think without fear.
- Share emotions and feelings. Parents talk with the youngest of their own concerns so that they are able to recognize and express their feelings and emotions.
- Know how to listen Adolescents must be given the opportunity to speak without interrupting them, or interrogating them, showing them that they are being listened to with gestures such as nodding, looking in the eyes, smiling, etc.
- Rate your opinion. The opinion of the adolescent should make parents reflect and not impose their own ideas. Wherever possible, an agreement must be reached
- Empathize. You have to put yourself in the place of the children. No situation is lived the same twice and the generational change means that adolescents can not be understood, we must try to understand them and know the reasons that lead them to behave in one way or another.