The little son, the characteristics of the youngest
Are you one of those parents that extends your childhood? little son and stretch it like chewing gum? Do you consent to too many things? Do you protect him in excess and all his actions apologize? Do you delegate too much in your brother or older brothers and hold them responsible for the mischief of the youngest?
Or, on the contrary, do you pay little attention because you think your son or older children need more help? Do you ever feel the only one? Being the youngest of the house, can have its advantages and also its disadvantages.
In the education of the little son of the family, there are usually fewer burdens on the part of the parents. They already have enough experience to give importance to what really has it. With the first they are alarmed by more things. In addition, the dynamics of the home is more structured and this provides security to educate the young child.
Characteristics of the youngest of the house
Teachers are the ones who, as a rule, realize that a student of theirs is "the little child". Why? These are some of the suspicions or characteristics to perceive that he is the youngest:
1. Happy, but less responsible. As a rule, they are usually happy and uncomplicated children, sometimes they tend to express certain "vaguería", to carry out actions because they are accustomed to having others solve matters (and they know how to get it); They have a tendency to "slip the bulge", they are less responsible because they know that there is always someone behind to do things.
2. Have a seal at school. In school, the little brother of a large family usually has a kind of seal. They are very autonomous children, who are quickly integrated into the dynamics of the class, are easy to relate to other children, are dynamic, eager to learn, cheerful and extroverted; although they are also usually quarrelsome, they have a hard time sharing, they are hoarders, if they do not get what they want they use the weapon of the tantrum, they try to get away with it, they look for tricks so they do not have to put too much effort into things.
3. More cheerful and open in large families. The small children of a large family, for example, in which there is little age difference from one another, tend to be more cheerful and sociable, very determined, know how to handle themselves and are autonomous, they tend to be quite stimulated both in the area of language As in motor development, they want to learn and do things on their own because they want to be like the grown-ups. They are surrounded by love and with high self-esteem.
4. Affectionate and cuddly. If the youngest children are too cared for and protected by the older siblings, the attention that the younger siblings receive from their parents is only through the affective route. So, they are usually more affectionate children, who are pampered and contemplated more, make more grace to parents, the relationship with them is pleasant and rewarding. There are usually no confrontations, they easily give in to their demands before facing the tantrum, but they need an intellectual and formative attention in habits, which is what is usually delegated to older brothers (tell a story, bathe, help him to get dressed, feed him, ...).
5. Little tyrants. Other times, however, it is noted that he is the "benjamin" because he acts like a little tyrant. For example, when there is a noticeable age difference between him and the other siblings, things are often very different. He is usually more dependent on the normal, he is not allowed to grow because he is the last and all the members of the family treat him like the "little one", all the difficulties are solved, he becomes "soft". Danger! Without realizing it, we are turning them into a "little tyrant" that nobody takes the opposite. We are consenting to actions that were not allowed to the elderly.
The older brothers, models to imitate
One circumstance that plays in favor of educating the young son of the house, is that he has more models to imitate. This can be positive in terms of acquiring habits and learning by itself that in the older ones it took more time and effort, but it can also mean skipping some stage for wanting to be and do as the elderly. That is why it is important to observe their characteristics, personality and act calmly. In addition, you can also learn the negative behavior of the brothers.
As a general rule, the child has to "survive" in the middle of his family, which is quite structured and this is a benefit: he gains autonomy and knows how to develop, learns to solve different situations, because he watches his brothers. This is the most positive education: let him learn, little by little, to solve his everyday problems (eat alone, get dressed or take off his clothes, strain his things, brush his teeth etc.)
From time to time, a help from parents will not hurt, because he also needs to perceive that his parents are watching him. The negative, as we mentioned above, is that both parents, as his brother or brothers, always solve their problems.
Delegate to the elder brothers the care of the small son
How far can we charge the brother or elder brothers with responsibility? How much can we delegate parents? It is common to delegate much of the education of the little ones to the older siblings. Many times we charge them with responsibilities that only correspond to the parents and for which those are not prepared or have the maturity or the necessary authority to do so. On the other hand, this means depriving the youngest children of the right to have the attention of the parents who did have the older ones.
In addition, there is a risk that the older brothers consider him a toy and attend to all their demands. This is another aggravating factor to turn him into a "little despot". This circumstance, together with the fact that there may be some relaxation on the part of the parents at the time of being constant and firm in the rules, can make fall into a lack of demand that did not exist with the brother or older siblings.
Advisor: Cristina Cano, Specialist in Early Childhood Education