The leisure plans that families like the most
How are families having fun? What do they spend their free time? Are there big or small differences between parent fun and children's fun? To answer this and other questions, the "TriNa Study of Family Fun" has conducted a survey on family activities that parents and children like the most when we want to have fun as a family.
The doctor in Psychology and Pedagogue Therapist Javier Urra and the Gestionando Hijos platform that collaborates with parents in the educational work are the sponsors of this study that reflects what free time is spent by families with children between 6 and 12 years old.
Summer, the funniest time of the year for families
Among the main conclusions of this radiography of family fun we highlight that:
1. 80% of families Spaniards considers summer as the funniest time of the year
2. Spanish children ask to play more with their fathers or be able to spend more time with them.
3. The most fun plans: go to the amusement park (89%), watch movies at home (88%), go to the pool (87%) or go out for a snack (86%)
4. 85% of children, and 50% of families love going to popular parties or verbenas.
5. Parents enjoy more manual activities (57%) and the children more with electronic devices (65%). Playing sports is the meeting point
6. More than half of children (63%) would like to spend more time with their parents.
7. Half of the parents recognize that daily obligations do not leave you time to have fun with your children
8. Family leisure time is mostly used in: watching movies at home (64%), special dinners at home on Friday nights (48%) and reading (45%)
9. Children enjoy more with action activities (sports and console), and girls prefer creative ones (reading, singing, painting or disguising)
10. While parents prefer to dedicate fun time to children exclusively, the little ones prefer to share their friends
A trip through the family plans that attract most
Video game console and other electronic games
- It has more fun for children (50%) than for parents (31%) and especially for children between 6 and 9 years old.
- It is a preferred plan for children (88%) than for girls (81%), who declare that they do not have so much fun with this type of leisure.
- Girls play with electronic devices on weekends, while children also play on weekdays.
- Of the families that play together with the video game console, only 6% admit that they are bored.
- Playing at the console or with other electronic devices is a plan that 54% of families prefer, compared to doing crafts (46%).
Board games and kitchenettes
- Girls are the ones who best spend their time playing with their parents playing board games and cooking.
- Board games entertain children 6-9 as well as 10-12 year olds, and a little more for mothers than for parents who play.
Go to friends house
- 54% of children who invite friends or are invited to friends' homes declare that they have a lot of fun.
- It is mothers (48%) and girls (58%) who have the best time with these social plans.
Make crafts (paint, clay, cut-outs ...)
- Of the families that make this type of more creative plastic activities, 22% recognize that they do not have a lot of fun.
- Crafts bore 30% of male parents and 22% of kids who practice them, however they have 79% of mothers, 79% of boys and 86% of girls.
- 77% of Spanish families enjoy dressing up, especially mothers more than parents and girls aged 6 to 9 years more than the rest of the children who have fun poking around in parents' lockers ( 47%).
Tell or invent stories
- 77% of Spanish families have a lot of fun telling stories or reading books, only 5% confess that they get bored while doing it.
- Telling stories or inventing stories has much more fun for children (80%) than for parents (75%).
- It is the mothers who have the best time with this activity and girls enjoy more (82%) than boys (78%).
Walking to the mall
- 65% of the families that do have fun and only 11% bore him.
- It is a plan that bores more children (14%) than parents (8%).
- It is a plan that entertains more girls and women, since of the boys who do it bores 19% and 10% of the parents.
- Families go to the pool to swim, dive and play together 77% of families with children, of which 87% consider it a very fun plan. It is a preferred plan for children (61%) and mothers (54%).Children with ages between 6 and 9 years and girls (65%) enjoy more of this plan than boys.
- 82% of families have a lot of fun riding bicycles, skates or scooters. 76% are the families that enjoy playing together other sports such as tennis, volleyball, basketball or soccer. Followed by 74% who have a lot of fun skiing and 72% who have a good time practicing judo or karate.
Books, music and movies
- Read books like 72% of families who do, while bored 7% of families and 11% of children who play with books and stories. It is a clearly preferred activity by parents (77%) vs. children, and girls (36%) compared to children (28%).
- Of the families that spend free time listening to music or playing an instrument, 77% have a lot of fun. 41% of mothers admit that they enjoy this activity a lot, while 31% of parents confess that they do not have much fun with these musical plans. Girls (47%) enjoy more than boys (34%) with music. And they are the children (83%) in greater percentage than the parents (71%), those who enjoy listening or tacando music.
- Watching movies at home is one of the activities not only that Spanish families do the most (64%), but also the ones that most entertain those who do it (87%). Interestingly, it is a plan preferred by mothers (90%) and daughters (89%).
- Plans to have fun outside the home are more attractive (68%), than those that can be done at home (32%). Especially for children and mothers.
Barriers to family fun
Parents of Spanish families recognize the existence of barriers to family fun, but more than economic aspects (41%) is the use of electronic devices (42%), after-school activities for children (48%) and obligations daily (50%). The level of occupation of large and small prevents families from spending more time together to have a good time.
TheTriNa Study of Family Fun has revealed that more than half of Spanish children (63%) would like to spend more time with their parents, especially those who are between 6 and 9 years old. However, the older ones, from 10 to 12 years old, believe that they already see their parents enough.
However, only 23% of parents would like to spend more time with their children (especially those with children between 6 and 9 years old), while 29% of parents believe that they already spend enough time with their children.
On the other hand, 3% of the parents surveyed admit that they hardly see their children, the 19% who only see their children fair, over all the parents; while mothers are the ones who spend more time with their children thanks to work-life balance.
22% of parents declare that their professional load does not allow them to spend more time with children (especially dads).
Marisol Nuevo Espín