Decalogue to sunbathe with caution in summer
Although there is no Sun tanning healthy or safe, for the risk of skin cancer, wrinkles and blemishes, it is possible to tan while reducing the negative effects of solar radiation. The Spanish Association Against Cancer AECC has developed a decalogue with the main recommendations for when we go to expose ourselves to the sun.
10 tips to get tanned with caution
1. Solar hours. The most important thing for suntanning with caution in summer is to avoid sun exposure between 12.00 and 16.00 hours because ultraviolet rays are more harmful.
In addition, gradually tan, that is, instead of spending 3 hours in a row in the sun, distribute the solar sessions in shorter expositions of an average or an hour each time. This way you will avoid burning yourself and you will give time to your skin to equip yourself with melanin, which is the substance that protects the skin from the UVA rays absorbing them, turning them into heat and avoiding the creation of free radicals that can damage the DNA.
2. Sensitive areas. The effects of solar radiation affect not only the skin, but also the lips and eyes, which are sensitive areas. Therefore, we can not forget the use of protective lip bars and sunglasses that absorb 100% of the radiation.
3. More protection for children and the elderly. We must monitor the exposure of children to the sun in a special way because children's skin is in a process of maturation in which all the adaptation mechanisms have not yet been developed. The same happens with the elderly, their skin has lost the ability to defend. Ideally, use a high protection factor, always higher than FP 25 and resistant to water, as well as prevent children under three years old and the elderly from being exposed directly to the sun.
4. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is one of the problems derived from sun exposure, for this reason, it is important to drink plenty of water.
5. Each type of skin is different. To tan with caution it is advisable to choose a sunscreen appropriate to your physical characteristics (skin color, hair and eyes). During the first solar exposures it would always be good to use a protection factor greater than 15. If you have clear skin and hair and usually burns easily, it is best to choose a sunscreen with a protection index of 30 to 50. In addition, People with dark brown hair and eyes who tend to tan easily, should also be protected with creams with an index of 15.
6. Moisturize your skin. Extend the duration of tanning and try to keep it longer by moisturizing the skin with moisturizers regularly. Because the melanin that gives color to the skin is located in the outer layer, you will eliminate the tan if your skin is peeling or flaking. For the same reason, avoid using exfoliating products.
7. Apply the sunscreen half an hour before. The application of sunscreen should be done half an hour before exposure to the sun and repeated every two hours and after each bath to achieve tanning with caution. We should not trust the cloudy days because the ultraviolet rays pass through the clouds in the same way although we do not notice that it is hot.
8. Protect your skin in water. We should not neglect the protection of our skin when we bathe in the sea or in the pool since the water acts like a magnifying glass increasing the damaging effects of the sun by 10%. In the sand, 25% of the radiation is reflected, so we must protect ourselves even though we are under an umbrella.
9. Calm your skin with a after sun. It is convenient that after a day of exposure we use a after sun to help a better hydration of the skin.
10. Consulting a dermatologist is essential, sEverything if we notice any skin lesion, such as the change of color, shape or size of freckles and moles.
Marisol Nuevo Espín