Week 1-4. Pregnancy week by week
The first four weeks of pregnancy are very important for the fetus to implant well in the mother's womb. Therefore, it is essential to have healthy habits and be aware of the risks that should be avoided. In addition, pregnancy involves weekly physical and psychological changes that we must know in order to carry a healthy pregnancy.Photo: THINKSTOCK Enlarge photo
Physical and psychological changes of pregnant women
The first symptom of pregnancy is the lack of menstruation. If necessary, you can take a pregnancy test to corroborate it. In addition, during the first four weeks of pregnancy you will notice a series of physical and psychological changes in your body:
1. You will have greater sensitivity in the chest and could increase in size. This is because your body begins to prepare to breastfeed your baby.
2. Maybe you have nausea and vomiting. The hormone that causes it is chorionic gonadotropin. During pregnancy increases and is the cause of these discomforts.
3. Implantation hemorrhage can occur in week four of gestation. It is a small bleeding that can be experienced when the ovum is fixed in the wall of the uterus.
4. Spontaneous abortion. Sometimes, when the implantation hemorrhage happens, if the bleeding is abundant and there is intense pain, you should consult your doctor about the risk of a spontaneous abortion.
5. Regarding psychological changes, it is normal to have mood swings. Emotivity, sensitivity or irritability. They are similar to those of premenstrual syndrome.
The development of the baby during weeks 1 to 4.Photo: THINKSTOCK
Embryonic development could be divided into the following phases:
1. Firstly, the union of the ovule with the sperm. The ovum goes down the fallopian tubes and if it meets the sperm, fertilization takes place.
2. The fertilized egg goes down the fallopian tubes making a cellular division.
3. The ovum reaches the uterus after 3 or 4 days after fertilization.
4. Cells that have split form a ball of cells that attach to the tissue of the uterus and here pregnancy begins They pass approximately 6 days after fertilization.
You have to keep in mind that Pregnancy does not always occur. Almost half of the fertilized eggs are lost before the implantation is finished and that is when menstruation begins.
The health of the pregnant woman in week 1 to 4 of pregnancyPhoto: THINKSTOCK
The care of the mother is very important for the correct development of the fetus. Therefore, it must take into account a series of activities that should not be done during pregnancy. In addition, the first trimester is crucial because there are more chances of abortion, therefore, you must take special care with your health care.
1. Smoking mothers must eliminate tobacco. There are studies that suggest that smoking can cause weight loss in babies and also, babies are prone to suffer more bronchial diseases.
2. Eliminate alcohol. Alcohol can create malformations in the fetus. It must be totally suppressed from the diet.
3. Avoid taking heavy objects. Carrying weight can hurt your back. As the fetus grows, the mother's weight can increase by around 12-14 kilos compared to her usual weight.
Control of pregnancy in the weeks 1 to 4 of pregnancy
1. It is very important to make five meals a day and take a varied diet that contains all the necessary vitamins and nutrients.
2. During these first four weeks it is recommended do not eat any raw animal product (sausage, raw meat) until the toxoplasmosis test is done. Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite that is found in animals, which can cause the birth of the dead baby or structural and neurological problems in the fetus.
3. It is very good to take a folic acid supplement during the first weeks of pregnancy, and if possible three months before becoming pregnant, since folic acid helps prevent birth defects in the baby.
4. Calcium will be the essential food for the formation of your baby's teeth and bones.
Pregnancy calendar week to week
Click on each petal or circle to see the content of your week or trimester of pregnancy respectively.