How to distinguish between good and evil
With the awakening of reason in children the birth of the infantile moral sense takes place. Knowing how to distinguish between good and evil leads us to differentiate what is good and what is bad, and act accordingly.Between 6 and 10 years, the children begin to weigh and analyze the reasons and consequences of their actions.
They also develop the ability to consider various alternatives to solve a problem and the ability to look at things from the point of view of the partner or friend, which indicates that at this time you can educate their empathy.
When children reach the age of 8 or 9 there is great development in the moral sense of children due to several factors:
- for the development of his intelligence
- for its growing power of internalization, that is, assimilation of those who see and are told.
- due to the large number of participation opportunities and performance of new roles in all areas in which it operates. They are much more independent and autonomous.
Rules and regulations for children
At these ages, children like rules and regulations very much, and have no problem applying them to their games and activities. Rules and regulations are necessary and you have to live according to them. To empower it, we must strive to comply with civic norms. With our explanations and example we will be forming your conscience.
We will also explain the rules that we believe should be lived in the home, both those of coexistence (punctuality, order, etc.) and morals (at home nobody speaks ill of anyone, being generous ...). In addition, we will specify them in a few and small ones, so that they can live them daily.
Heroes and models of the good and the bad
By putting himself in the place of the other, when judging other people's behaviors, the child begins to compare himself and to regulate his behavior according to the observed. It is something natural: try to please and do what you see others do. Hence the moral strength of the example of adults, especially those who have authority over the child, both parents and teachers. But also the older brothers, the cousins ... can condition their idea of the good and the bad.
At these ages the ideal infantiles and the boy is attracted to "heroes". Especially for those who personalize the taste for adventure and for the exceptional, courage, nobility, friendship * that is, values that reflect greatness of mind. Hence the importance of both our example and books and television.
Autonomy and own initiative to promote education
Parents should encourage the creation of a critical mentality, which will be very important in the future. It is not about questioning everything, but neither about accepting it without more. To put into practice how to distinguish between good and evil, one can begin by always explaining the whys of the house rules for foster the child's personal growthor as a subject who thinks, feels, decides and acts freely. Therefore, we must let him decide on his own many times, without giving it all done, making him see the consequences, the responsibilities * The questions of the type "do you think is better?" or "What would you do?", can help in this task.
The moral formation to distinguish between good and evil must be imbued with a positive sense, which strengthens freedom and is the antidote to scruples. All this must take place in an environment of discipline, affection and security. The tone of threat, blind obedience, etc., do not favor the personal assimilation of moral teachings and then are put into question during puberty, since children begin to care much what others think of him. The feeling of shame arises when one is judged by another and, later, the fear of ridicule or criticism. It is time to teach him to overcome it, so that he is able to make free decisions, that is, that they are not affected by what others will say or by external inconveniences, something very important in adolescence.
Tips to teach to distinguish between good and evil
- Put your moral judgments into practice so that he realizes that it is not a game. Practical case: it has remained with something of a companion; we make him see that it is wrong and that something must be done; the boy decides that it is necessary to return it and to take it to his owner to house, we will have to go with him, although we happen some of trouble.
- When you count certain situations or memories, you can ask from time to time what he would have done and why. You can also take advantage of the news that comes out during the day and that they can understand.
- Books and movies are a store of models. Choose good titles by making an effort to inform you.
- Look for behavior models. Children will look at people with some authority or ancestry about them: teachers, parents * but also siblings, cousins, school gang leaders, footballers, etc.
- An exceptional motivation is to ask him what he has to do as if it were a personal challenge.
- It's good to always reason what we want so that it assumes it as its own.
- At home we can perform, as a game, various dramatizations in which our children have to act in the role of another character. They can play at being "very bad bad", "brave" or "naughty". This will help them to take into account different points of view.