The 10 commandments for the safe use of ICT
The specialists of the National Police have elaborated a document with "The 10 commandments for the safe use of the technology by minors ", which summarizes in ten the basic guidelines to be followed by parents and children for a good use by children of gadgets.
The ten "commandments" for the safe use of technology by minors are:
1. The new gadget is a gift, but It's not a toy. Its implementation requires knowing not only how it works and its many possibilities, but also the risks of misuse, above all, for safety. It is recommended that this learning-discovery process be done jointly, simultaneous, Fathers and sons.
2. The child should be clear where, how and when can -or is appropriate- use your new equipment and protect it from possible loss and unwanted access. If you are going to take it with you outside the home, it will depend on your age, circumstances of the moment or adult company, environment ... In the same way, you must write down identifying data of the device and block its use with a key that only he should know ... and his tutors or adult to accompany him in his introduction to technology.
3. The best thing is that from the beginning they agree between both parties (minors / adults) rules of use, based on criteria of security and rationality (which is appropriate for the environment and knowing how to be), the older they are, the more they will reason and agree with them, with greater freedom and privacy. Everything in its time or at an age.
4. Adults should know and choose the different options of the operator, as well as the applications, programs and services that are installed or contracted and the conditions of them. Know the usefulness and content of the same, so intuit the risks that are assumed. If the elders do not know, they can always ask others to understand more about technology or in stores.
5. The smaller the new user, the more supervised, accompaniment and awareness will need the use of the smartphone, tablet, computer, console, camera ... for what use, with whom, what information is exchanged ... A good criterion for the child to know if he uses that technology appropriately or not is that if you saw a cousin or aunt of yours, do not be shocked or worried.
6. In the case of the youngest, parents can install programs that filter access to inappropriate and dangerous websites and content, as well as facilitating parental control. Similarly, it is advisable to be advised by professionals in educational centers and by agents of the National Police who provide safety training in more than 5,000 schools throughout Spain. In case of doubt or need, the child should have trusted adults to consult (family or school environment) and, if serious, you can always contact the police agents, in any police station, in any of the talks in teaching centers, on 091 or by email, directly and discreetly, at [email protected]
7. If it is still very small, the new user must assume that his tutors have global access to the content and use of the mobile, tablet or computer. In addition, care must be taken to use it in public or open spaces of the house, easily accessible to the elderly, who must supervise or accompany the children on a continuous basis and give up freedom or intimacy as they grow up and acquire responsibility and awareness of the risks.
8. The child must know not only the risks that can be found -and should avoid- when using his new equipment, but also assume that it must be responsible and respectful when interacting with the rest, as well as in the coexistence with his acquaintances ... (if he is still small, he should only interrelate with these). Any attack, humiliation, blackmail or very heavy joke - THE CIBERACOSO - to another person is intolerable and can become a crime.
9. It is very important to agree and reason with the child a rational and respectful rules towards everyone about taking photos and videos, share their images with others and, of course, the non-distribution of those that are of others without their authorization or that may irreversibly harm the image of anyone. Not only explain that you can incur in CRIME (as with sexting), but the importance of RESPECT to the rest (do not do to others what you would not like to suffer).
10. The minor must be alerted to the risks of fraud or conditions that are assumed - consciously or not - by facilitating their data to people or companies, contract services and buy online, as well as teach the fundamental security guidelines in electronic commerce, either with companies or between individuals. We must also alert you of malware (viruses, Trojans) and spam that will be found in navigation and existing social engineering techniques to deceive the Internet user.