The danger of smoking in the car with children
A stressful traffic jam, a trip that seems never to end. These are reasons that encourage many parents to continue smoking in the car in the presence of their children. According to a study, tobacco smoke potentiates the worsening of asthma in children, increases the probability that they suffer respiratory or ear infections and, in the worst case, the syndrome of sudden infant death.
Pediatric specialists remember that children breathe faster than adults and inhale more harmful chemicals per kilogram of weight to find his respiratory system in the process of maturity. Therefore, lowering the window of the car is not enough. It is important to keep children away from areas where smoking is usual, whether smoking or not at that time, to avoid "second-hand smoke".
Consequences of smoke exposure in children
- Syndrome of sudden infant death. It is the leading cause of death in babies between one month and one year.
- Ear infections. Exposure to tobacco smoke increases the number of ear infections and the healing time. Causes inflammation and obstruction causing pain and infection. Ear infections are the most common cause of hearing loss.
- Asthma infections. The exposure to smoke in children encourages a 20 percent more so that children suffer from asthma attacks.
- Respiratory infections. Tobacco smoke can cause infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis and bronchiolitis in children.
- Irritations of mucous membranes. Increases the likelihood of children suffering from irritation in the throat, eyes and nose. In addition, it can cause stinging and excessive blinking in the eyes.
- Greater number of hospital admissions. In children up to 18 months, exposure to tobacco smoke is responsible for up to 15,000 hospitalizations a year in the US.
- School absenteeism. The children of smoking parents are missing six times more and go to the doctor more frequently.
If you are a father, stop smoking
Experts remember that the best solution that parents have smokers is quitting tobacco. However, if they are not willing or unable to leave it, it is important that measures be adopted to eliminate smoke from both home and car and try to practice this habit in outdoor spaces.
Noelia de Santiago Monteserín