The great potential of introverts
Children who are not very talkative and withdrawn are as intelligent as the rest, and these traits also favor them when it comes to being more reflective, having more analytical skills, etc. But due to their shyness, they find it difficult to socialize, communicate their feelings or adapt to new situations.
In early childhood shyness is frequent and normal. Little by little the problem is overcome, although episodes may reappear, especially when the child has to face new or unknown situations.
On the other hand, we must not forget that some factors, including our behavior as parents, contribute more to the development of that insecurity. These are some examples: disparagement and devaluation; when the parents are very impatient; Extremely rigid, critical and overworked or overprotective parents. The scarce sociability of parents also influences: they do not have friends, they are timid, they shy away from social relationships ...
Let's not look at introversion as a problem, but as an attitude full of benefits and that needs a push to improve in socialization:
- They are very observant and reflective children.
- They are scholars, compliers, plan their tasks well and in general get good grades.
- They are calm and like to be at home, where they are entertained with activities such as reading, drawing, collecting objects, etc.
- They know how to listen to others.
- They do not like to be the focus of attention, they are not self-centered.
- They learn very well to know each other, which in the future will lead them to know what their psychological needs are, what they want and how to achieve it.
- Although they have few friends, introverts build deep and lasting friendships.
To help you socialize
- At family meals ask your child to Tell an anecdote about the school.
- Promotes that participate in some group activity. It is important that you do not press too much.
- When you make a new friend, it is better that at first you let's invite home and so our son can adapt to this friendship in a familiar environment. Later, we will encourage him to be the one who go to your friends' house.
- Sometimes it can be painful to see our son face new situations, but we must avoid overprotectingIf not, it will be difficult for them to learn to have confidence in themselves.
- Congratulate the child for every small achievement I get.
- Always make it very clear to your child that when he needs something, he only has to ask for it, It does not have to feel ashamed.
When to worry?
We must be concerned when it prevents the child from developing its activities normally, when the child's shyness interferes significantly in social relationships and school performance, manifesting through repeated crying, lack of spontaneous language, escape from the situation, somatic disorders, tendency to hide In these cases, shyness is excessive, and collaboration between parents and teachers will be necessary to help the child overcome it in different areas.
-We must always keep in mind that you can never force to our son to overcome his shyness,
- Is essential not leave our son alone when faced with strangers or with people who do not have much confidence.
- We must help you to get to know each other and make sure that playing with other children, talking with adults and participating in different activities is fun and positive
- Do not let to others (siblings, grandparents, uncles etc.) that you Disqualify for your shyness.