Guidelines for teaching discipline to children
Although it does not have a good reputation, children need a degree of discipline that does not oppose educating in freedom or affection. The value of discipline will be the key to success in all stages and training to create new habits. However, discipline does not consist in scolding and punishing. A discipline that is poorly understood does not generate respect for children towards parents.
How to demand changes for children
Among the guidelines for teaching discipline to children, the most important thing is not to be strict or demanding,require them in another way:
- Do not give in to pressure: we must try not to give way only by the degree of his pretensions (he is an insistent, stubborn boy ...) or the pressure that he is capable of exerting on us.
- Preserve calm: As much as it costs us, it is better that we try to endure as calm as possible their refusals or tantrums, which end up yielding to their demands or way of acting.
Better to talk than to scold children
When we have to scold, the first thing we have to do is try to calm down (We count to ten before acting). Nothing will serve us a speech full of threats, or scream and, much less, make a bad face. The best policy we can carry out will be to relax and try find the best time to talk about the topic. Maybe we have to wait a few hours or, why not, one day, but the results will be much more effective. And is that, if we tried to reason our son in the midst of a resounding discussion is likely to end by not listening to anything that we are saying.
Also, every time we have to scold him, we will use all the delicacy and affection that are possible And it is that the objective of a rebuke should not be to humiliate the boy with a "what you have done is wrong" but, simply, that learn from your own mistakes and, above all, knowing that we love him with all our heart.
Tips to teach discipline to your children
- Do not threaten if you do not plan to fulfill your threat. Your son would end up doing his will because he would be aware that in the end he never ends up receiving any punishment.
- Count to ten to relax A little before talking to your son.
- Give your child responsibilities according to their age. Sometimes, the problem is not so much about a lack of discipline as about "excessively" high goals on the part of the parents.
- Continuous rigor is not positive. If you are not right, it is always good to assume the error and let your child know.
- Avoid being all day of your son. If you ask him to do a certain thing, he trusts that he will do it without constantly monitoring or harassing him with frequent reminders.
The key to positive motivation to educate
It is good to keep in mind the poor results that punishments usually have for the future. So, for example, if we managed to get our son to order his room under severe threats, the only thing we would be getting is that the moment they disappear (when we are not present or our son is no longer under our authority) he stops acting neatly
Precisely for this reason, it is so important thatlet's strengthen your will by motivating our son positively (congratulating him every time he gets a little success, encouraging him every time we see a new achievement ...) And it is that, when a child between 6 and 12 years old is educated, it is not enough for him to know at all times that he has to In addition, he has to learn to order it well and, above all, to do it by his own will.
Patricia Núñez de Arenas