Influencers, their world in social networks
The Internet has completely changed the way we communicate and relate to others. This has had its repercussions in the world of advertising, in which the figure of the influencer. This novelty that emerges from the social networks It also influences children, who use digital platforms to express themselves.
An influencer is a person who has great influence on the social networks (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) and some credibility on a specific topic. For this reason, it is a resource that begins to be used by brands to promote their products; 60% of marketing professionals in Spain use them. Influencers can be traditional (such as specialized journalists) or celebrities or celebrities. Even children and young people under age participate in this new phenomenon.
However, the issue of influencers It can be more delicate when dealing with a minor. Whether a child acts as an influencer or is influenced by one in social networks, it is important to take into account factors such as image rights, the protection of the minor and the ability of children to understand the advertising content.
How should the world be influencer children
For now, it seems that the influencers they come to stay. For this reason, to ensure the welfare of children, we establish some guidelines as a practical guide that influencers, whether children or adults whose audience is children, should continue their activity on social networks:
1. Be a model Children influencers they are models of other minors. For this reason it is necessary to avoid dangerous situations, such as the use of sharp tools or fire. In case the activity of the influencer carries some risk, it is important that it is done under the supervision of an adult.
2. No to covert advertising. It is necessary to distinguish clearly the entertainment content of the advertisements, so as not to cause confusion in the minor.
3. Location of products. In relation to the previous point, the placement of products in children's programming is prohibited by law, due to the inability of children to understand that a product appears in a video because it is promoted by a brand. This is more difficult to regulate in social networks, but should be fulfilled by responsibility to the minor.
4. Contests. When making contests or raffles in social networks, something very common, it is necessary to strive to protect the data of minors and try to verify that they have the consent of their parents. Participation in draws and contests is possible, provided there is no consideration.
5. Use of images. It is necessary to pay special attention to the use of images of minors without their consent.
6. Video games. Some influencers promote video games or applications. It is recommended that, when presenting the product, define the recommended age range to prevent children from using games that are not suitable for their age.
7. Healthy habits. Influencers should not promote unhealthy habits such as eating disorders or violence, but should advocate for child welfare by encouraging coexistence and a healthy diet.
Isabel López Vásquez
Advice: IAB Spain and the Rey Juan Carlos University in its Legal Guide about children 'influencers.