Most Spaniards are married and have not lived with their partner before
51.1 percent of Spaniards have not lived with their partner before getting married, as revealed by a survey conducted by the CIS (Center for Sociological Research). This study that is titled, Opinions and attitudes about the family, and which has been commissioned by the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality, collects data from 2,464 interviews that were conducted in 2014.
Reasons for couples to get married
Among the main reasons that the respondents make to marry are:
1. Commitment Specifically 6 out of 10 respondents, "personal commitment with the couple" is the main reason for wanting to marry.
2. Having children or thinking about having them It is another very important reason to get married for 60.1 percent of respondents.
The good health of the family in Spain
The family continues to be the central axis of society in Spain. A) Yes. the study of the Center for Sociological Research shows that the most important roles that the family fulfills would be, in this order:
1. Raising and educating children
2. Provide love and affection to all its members
3. Enjoy your children and your partner
4. Maintain and transmit the cultural and moral values of values
The interest for the maintenance of the united family is also evident in the survey. Thus, according to the results, before divorcing, 28.6 percent of couples come for professional help to resolve their situation. Only 4.1% would divorce and turn the page.
Family meals are still the most used element to keep Spanish families together. The 85.3 percent of the people who responded to the survey, affirm that they eat as a family all or almost every day. and that they maintain a daily communication with the children in 62.8 percent of the cases.
On the other hand, 35.4 percent of respondents recognize the important role of grandparents, figures who have not gained weight as a result of the crisis, but are considered as fundamental pillars to keep the family together.
Children and their importance in the family
Regarding the children, for 62 percent of those surveyed by the CIS, the parents must share the custody of the children, something that is fundamental since each of the parents has an essential role in the development and education of the children.
Regarding the birth rate, the main reasons that families claim not to have more children are:
1. Lack of financial means, which is the main reason for 89.5% of respondents.
2. Obstruction for professional development, which is the second reason for 38.1 percent.
3. The great responsibility of having children, The third reason for 36.6 percent.
4. The lack of sufficient public support, which is another reason for the remaining 37.7 percent.
Homework is still a women's thing
In the distribution of tasks, women continue to take care of the majority. The CIS survey confirms that there is still an unequal distribution between men and women regarding household chores. In 56.3 percent of the cases, the washing machine is the job of women, as well as cooking - at 49.9 percent - or deciding what to eat each day at 43.7 percent. Men only "win" women, by 38.6 percent, in regards to small repairs at home.
Marisol Nuevo Espín