Conversing with children from a young age favors the development of their intelligence
Conversing is one of the most recommended activities among people. Talk with others it is a great way to entertain and get to know new points of view. But the talk has many other benefits, especially for the little ones in the house. Even in those cases where the children still do not master the language skills.
For those who believe that talk to the children, when they still do not say a word, it does not make much sense, the study Experiences with language during the second year of life and its impact on late childhood published in the magazine Pediatrics He has something to tell you. This answer derives from his conclusions since to bet by this dialogue with the small ones favors the development of his intelligence.
Why talk with children
What if my baby does not understand a word, why speak to him? The results of this work show that taking part in conversations by turns in the ages between 18 and 24 months, in the long run resulted in higher scores, among 14 to 27%, of performance, intellectual coefficient and verbal comprehension.
The best scores of receptive and expressive vocabulary, after being taken into account the socioeconomic factors. The researchers recorded the words of the adults and the conversations between babies and adults of 146 babies and small children one day a month for 6 months.
Later they followed up on these children with language and cognitive assessments between the ages of 9 to 14 years, confirming that the children who had received these conversations with their parents, even when they were not proficient in speech, presented a higher level of intelligence. Thus, it is clear that early intervention programs are necessary to help parents create the most conducive environment for early language learning in children.
How to talk with the baby
At this point a question may arise, how to talk to babies? What to say to a child who is not yet able to speak? These with some tips to start practicing this modality of communication:
- It does not matter the message, but how to say it. The tone used can get the interest of the baby and make them feel safe.
- Talk to them always looking them in the face. This will make them feel the object of attention, of the parents and the ear will also be helping them to develop visual observation.
- It is convenient that the child associates voice of the father to the touch of them, either caressing them, tickling them or touching them lightly when we turn to them.
- Not only should parents talk to you. All the members of the family must address the baby, that will introduce him / her into social life and increase his / her affectivity.
- Take advantage of the walks to describe everything that you see. This awakens his interest in what surrounds him and enriches his passive vocabulary.